I ate lunch at a Subway this week. (I like their tuna sandwich.) I found a gospel tract on the sink in the bathroom entitled “Where Are You Going to Spend Eternity?” I brought it home thinking I might learn something. In the fifth paragraph I read, “He now wants to give you a home in heaven. ‘…the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord’ (Romans 6:23).” I learned that “eternal life” = “a home in heaven” according to Fellowship Tract League. If you’ve hung with me the past few posts, you know I once thought that. But what I thought then wasn’t the half of it.[featured-image single_newwindow=”false”]
Why Eternal Life?
With eternal life you are given the essential source and capacity to live in the Life of the Trinity. You are given the life you need to be a Christian. You are empty and dead without it.
What is Eternal Life?
Eternal life is God’s life actively living in you. Eternal life, according to Jesus, is about knowing/experiencing the Father and the Son. Eternal life is living in such a way that you experience the life of the Father and Son by the Holy Spirit.
This understanding puts a new perspective on scriptural references to eternal life.
The one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. (Galatians 6.8)
Take hold of the eternal life to which you you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6.12)
If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is the promise that he made to us – eternal life. (1 John 2.23-25)
And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. (1 John 5.11)
Keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life. (Jude 1.21)
How to Participate in The Life of the Trinity in You
1. Trust in the Son (John 6.47)
2. Sow to the Spirit (Galatians 6:8) Continually plant your life into the soil of God’s life and die. Eventually, you will harvest His life in you.
3. Abide in the Son and in the Father (John 15.1-17, 1 John 2.23-25) “Abiding” is a dynamic, synergistic relationship of union and life with the Trinity.
4. Eat the living Bread and drink the True Drink “Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life.” (John 6.48-58)
5. Take hold of eternal life (1 Timothy 6.12) Grasp eternal life for all its worth! Learn it! Love it! Live it!
For practical ways to live out the “hows,” keep reading my posts. You can journey with me as we discover how to live in the life of the Trinity in everyday life.
How will you start or continue living your “eternal life?” Share below or ask a question.